A view from the inside: “MK will weather it”
Today I caught up with a buddy of mine.
We had touched base briefly in our undergrad years.
At grad school, we shared classes in Leadership, Law and Ethics the semester before I plunged into last year’s campaigns.
We batted for different teams during the campaigns: While he actively sided with a side that has ended up in power, I contested on a fringe party (outside the Big Three).
I catch up with my friend today and a few things come up:
- The established view from his end is that MK will survive all the ODM / international noise about the Dec. 27th affair. “Give us a year, or two, and we shall be settled.”
- He believes MK won fair and square, and “ODM knows it.” He laments that ODM “falsehoods” are more believable because of their highly media-savvy propaganda machine, “but the truth is slowly coming out.”
- He says both sides rigged, but MK was lucky to get away with much, but in a way no one can challenge (and also insists, as MK himself has said, that ODM should go to the courts if they believe they have a strong case). “They could utilize international judges to call for a recount / retallying,” he says.
- Says the Annan talks are having a good, cooling down effect.
- He says ODM won’t hold together for long……
- He avers that the Kenyan military won’t come to ODM’s aid, contrary to speculation in some circles…..
- Also says ODM majority in bunge will keep on reducing…..
- And offers yours truly a chance to make hay with the powers-that-be while the sun is still shining. “Two years will be enough for you to have joined the premier league 🙂 I can arrange a meeting for you and XX right now if you see sense in what I am saying.” I disagree with him, and he knows why. “There can be no such thing as ethics in politics. If YY, a Church leader, rigged njia yake into bunge, who are you, a kawaida Christian, to want to play by the rule-book?” I still disagree, and tell him I do not think the Ethics class we had in early 2007 meant nothing to me. He laughs, and says he will try his luck with me again later.